View Single Post
Old 15th March 2010, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Phono 3 with 5751 valves

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearded fiddler View Post
Thanks everyone. Richard, if I understand this right, you removed the switch for C1/C2 - C3/C4 - C5/C6 and replaced the caps by one 0.1 uF cap. Isn't this value higher than the combined value of the three original caps? Could you tell me something about the way capacitors raise or lower the bass roll-off frequency? Does one need more or less capacity for lowering the bass roll-off frequency? Excuse my ignorance but, although I can follow instructions and build kits, I have hardly any theoretical background. I'd like to read more about the basics, but I don't know where to begin. I bought Owen Bishop's Electronics A First Course, and it's ok, but I need something more focussed on valves and kit building, without getting swamped in mathematics and formulas. I bought a book on valves, but it's full of mind-boggling graphs. I hope you don't mind this rant.

Jan
Hi Jan
You will have seen on here many referrals to MJs valve amp books
pretty much all of us will have a copy of both his books I would start with the third edition Valve amps the yellow one and then get the blue one http://www.google.co.uk/products?hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-gb:IE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7GGLJ_en&q=morgan+jones+valve+amp+ books&oq=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=LaOeS4TZJZXNjAfNjqjGCA&sa=X&oi=product_result _group&ct=title&resnum=3&ved=0CCAQrQQwAg

Turntable Rega 3 custom RB250 with ortofon 2M Blue /other goldring 1042 /WD phono2 /WD CF pre custom converted /WD psu2 /home built JE Labs Single Ended 6SL7/KT66/Speakers Frugal horns Mk1s
Other turntables AR EB101/Thorns TD150mk2/Thorns TD160mk2

If you have trouble reading my posts its because I am a dyslexic member